What makes a man or woman burn for the Gospel? It is the restless knowledge that there is Someone greater, worth burning for. The martyr is martyred because he has caught a glimpse of the glory of God and could not remain silent!

Monday, February 14, 2005

Me, an evangelist???

"You have GOT to be kidding me, God!" I have exclaimed many times over the last few years. It is not a statement of frustration, nor of disgust. Sometimes it has been a statement of sheer surprise or downright excitement. Other times it has been a statement with a, "Please, God, not me... I am scared to death!" tacked on the end!

Have you ever just looked up to the sky and shook your head at the thought of what God is doing with your life? I have laughed with Him and cried with Him. And you know what? When it gets right down to it, I just enjoy God. This has been an amazing year in my life. Not because I have been bubbly and happy, but because of the trials. I have learned more about God than EVER before.

So what does that have to do with me being an evangelist? I have learned that the desire to share Jesus with people overflows from a grateful heart. I have been rescued from the dominion of darkness... saved from a life of sin and an eternity separated from the HOLY One, God! God sent His only and His perfect Son to die for me, while I was still an enemy of His. My debt to God is HUGE. He is righteous. I am full of wrong. He paid the price of sin- death- with the life of His Son. My heart should yearn for nothing else than sharing with others what He has done for me!!!

Some say, "Well, I am not called to be an evangelist." Humm... show me where the Bible says any one person will receive the gift of evangelism. As far as I understand, we are all called to be evangelists.

First, if Jesus has set you free and paid the price of your sin, why would you keep it inside???

Second, thinking that you are not "called" to be an evangelist is dangerous… and could be used as an excuse. We are ALL called to be witnesses of God's great mercy and grace. True, not all are called to leave our country and be a missionary overseas. Yet, we are all commanded in the Scripture to share what Jesus has done for us!

Third, I am glad that the early Christians did not sit back and say, "Well, I'll just let me life be the witness." Think of where Christianity would be if the Apostle Paul had kept silent. Now, you may say that he was "called" to be an evangelist. I would say true, but as I read his writings he was overflowing with the response of a grateful heart forgiven of much!!! Many of the great evangelists of the last few centuries say they did not feel "called" to be an evangelist… but because they loved Jesus so much and were full of thankfulness, they could not help but share!

Lastly, I will say this… I know I do not share my faith as I should. So many times the people will come to ME and I stay silent. Yet, when I share… in whatever fashion… I feel free and obedient!!! It is God who does the converting anyway… so no one needs to feel like a failure!

God is teaching me that TRUE love is the desire for all men to know God personally. If I loved God, I would want people to know Him. If I loved others, I would want them to know God. Simple as that. I think if we saw God face to face and truly understood His grace… we would all be dying to share with everyone we met! There is one thing we cannot do in heaven- share the message of Jesus. We will see Him face to face in all of His glory and TRULY understand His mercy, love and grace… and at that point it will be too late.

For God Alone,
Jaclyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home